novacut-community team mailing list archive

Dmedia 12.10, Novacut 12.10

I'm pleased to unveil the secure device peering UX/UI new in Dmedia 12.10.
Giant thanks to James
Raymond<https://plus.google.com/u/0/100070870253962033333/posts>for
designing these screens.

Although the peering works without any outside servers, without Internet
access, this is also the foundation of Novacut accounts
system.<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114471118004229223857/posts/1o3yEyi3u4J>

In related news, keep an eye on the first release of Lightworks for
Linux<http://editshare.posterous.com/planning-to-try-lightworks-for-linux-next-wee>coming
next week.

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.10-1.png>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.10-2.png>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.10-3.png>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.10-4.png>

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Dmedia-12.10-5.png>
What's New

This month was probably the most epic Dmedia
release<https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/12.10>ever.

The important thing from the user's perspective is that the Dmedia and
Novacut project sync is now done over SSL, thereby providing the privacy
and security needed to justify turning this on by default. After you peer
your devices, the metadata stored in CouchDB will automatically be synced
between your devices whenever they are on the same local network.

The same mechanism will be used to sync to our servers for the cloud beta.
We made good progress testing this over the month, but there is more work
to do still on project sharing. Between your own devices, we sync
everything, but when collaborating on a project, only that specific project
is synced (in real time) among all your collaborators. So we have a bit
more work to do on the access control for this.
Install Novacut 12.10

Please follow these
instructions<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/HowToInstall>to install
Novacut on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) or Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal).
Note that if you've already installed a previous version of Novacut, you'll
automatically get Novacut 12.10 the next time the Ubuntu Update Manager
runs.

If you're trying Novacut for the first time, you probably want to
start by watching
this <https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021506> so you
understand a bit about Dmedia, and then watch
this<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021504>to
get a good tour of Novacut.
Source code

You can download the source code from each component's Launchpad project
page:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>