novacut-community team mailing list archive

Novacut 13.02, with caution

This month's release is a bit different. We're in the process of turning on
the remaining Dmedia<https://plus.google.com/u/0/110946018676251034287/about>automation
behaviors, and switching from the interim Version Zero hashing
protocol and schema to Version One.

Please note that we don't yet consider Dmedia "production ready", so please
don't yet trust Dmedia as the only place where you store your files. But
turning on these remaining automation behaviors means I feel we're almost
there <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/13.03>.

We want to be very cautious during this transition, and so we recommend
that most users *skip* the Novacut 13.02 and 13.03 releases. To make this
more than just a suggestion, 13.02 has only been released for Ubuntu Raring
(the Ubuntu development version, which will be released as Ubuntu
13.04 on April
25th <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaringRingtail/ReleaseSchedule>).

Most of our PPA users are on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) and Ubuntu 12.10
(Quantal), while we have only a handful on Raring. This is a good thing
while we validate these changes. We likewise don't recommend our users
upgrade to Ubuntu Raring yet... wait till after the stable release on April
25th.

In the mean time, Precise and Quantal users can continue to use the Novacut
13.01 release. You'll be able to migrate your Dmedia library and Novacut
edits from V0 to V1 whenever you upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04.

For details on how we'll do the V0 to V1 migration, please see this
post.<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114471118004229223857/posts/SyZVjzqBNmA>
What's New

After more feedback and testing, I've decided that we are indeed switching
to the Dbase32 encoding <http://docs.novacut.com/dbase32/index.html> I
proposed last month. The V1 protocol now uses Dbase32 instead of standard
RFC-3548 Base32 encoding, although V0 is still the active protocol.

Most of the work this month was in preparing FileStore and Dmedia for the
migration. Dropping Precise and Quantal support also meant we could drop
support for Python 3.2, and start taking advantage of some of the richer
POSIX features available in Python 3.3 <http://docs.python.org/3.3/>. There
was also a critical fix <https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/1131742> so
that Dmedia downgrades a drive when metadata about the drive is missing.

For details, see the release notes for FileStore
13.02<https://launchpad.net/filestore/trunk/13.02>and Dmedia
13.02 <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/13.02>.
Special Thanks

Thanks to Simon Wells<https://plus.google.com/u/0/101128418892831818157/posts>,
saras fox <https://plus.google.com/u/0/106479011389609622954/posts>, and James
Raymond <https://plus.google.com/u/0/100070870253962033333/posts> for
diligently reviewing my many merge proposals.

Thanks to Robert von Burg <https://twitter.com/eitchme> for continuing to
provide feedback on the Dbase32 encoding and the V1 Protocol
Specification<http://docs.novacut.com/filestore/specification.html>.

And thanks to David
Jordan<https://plus.google.com/u/0/101813889111560624054/posts>for his
work on porting
Graffik<http://www.dynamicperception.com/software/graffik-motion-control-software>to
Ubuntu, which is Dynamic
Perception's <http://www.dynamicperception.com/> open source control app
for nanoMoCo, an open hardware stepper motor controller:

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Graffik_on_Ubuntu.png>

Plus David had a chance to play with the Ubuntu Touch
SDK<http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet>:

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/Novacut_on_Touch-1920.jpg>

As always, if you want to get involved with Novacut design or development,
please stop by the #novacut
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=novacut>IRC channel on freenode
and introduce yourself.
Install Novacut 13.02

Packages are available for Ubuntu Raring in
ppa:novacut/stable<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable?field.series_filter=raring>.
But remember, we recommend that most users *skip* the Novacut 13.02 and
13.03 releases.

If you want to help develop Novacut, it's best to install from
ppa:novacut/daily<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/daily?field.series_filter=raring>.

Note if you've added both the daily and the stable PPAs, the versions in
the daily PPA will supersede the stable versions. So same effect as if you
only added the daily PPA. For more details on the PPAs, read about our Monthly
Release Process <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/ReleaseProcess>.
Source code

You can download the source code from each component's Launchpad project
page:

   - dbase32 <https://launchpad.net/dbase32/trunk/0.4>
   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut/trunk/13.02>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/13.02>