nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #57582]: Can NSsbackup create backups on a file server that is locally mounted?

Question #57582 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/57582

Jean-Peer Lorenz requested for more information:
There is something I don't understand so far: The posted log is created
for the profile 'test2', but the config file is (if this file is
'/etc/nssbackup.conf') for the default profile.

Maybe I should explain the whole profile feature first:

* There is always a so called default profile that (in this version) cannot be disabled. It configuration file is stored under '/etc/nssbackup.conf' for super-users and '~/.config/nssbackup/nssbackup.conf' for non-root users.
* One can add profiles that are run separately from the default profile (and should not interfere with other profiles; but maybe that's the problem?)
* Each profile got its own configuration file
* These configuration files are stored in '/etc/nssbackup.d/' for super-users, otherwise in '~/.config/nssbackup/nssbackup.d/'
* Active profiles are named 'nssbackup-profilename.conf; disabled profiles are named 'nssbackup-profilename.conf-disable'

Known limitations: I experienced an issue related to the logging and
profiles: The problem is, that all profiles use the same name for the
log file. Since the user doesn't change the log directory for each
profile to a different directory, log files were overwritten during the
backup process. You can work around this by 1. not using profiles (at
least for debugging purposes) or 2. set the log directory within the
configuration tool to different destinations for each profile. Because
of that I asked you to disable any additional profiles for the
debugging.

I fixed this for RC3 (not released), but the RC2 still contains the
issue.

Before we figure out what is the problem in your case, we need debugging
output and logs. So, please re-check to use only the default profile for
backing up a single file or directory to a local destination. Post the
config file and the log file (including file path, name and content).

If an exception is raised before the logging was set up it would be
displayed in the shell (but wouldn't be logged into a file of course).
As you are obviously familiar to the use of the shell invoke the backup
process from the shell with following command:

to run as root - uses the config file from '/etc...' and stores the log in '/var/...':
sudo nssbackupd

to run as non-root - uses the config file from '/.config/nssbackup...' and stores the log in '/.local/share/...':
nssbackupd

Check the output for any error messages (and post the whole output it
here).

I'm sorry for the trouble and thanks a lot for your effort.

Regards. Jean-Peer

NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.