nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: noob looking for some pointers

Hello  Slick,

Slick a écrit :
> Oumar,
>
>    I'm sorry to bother you with some of these small details but I'm new
> to launchpad and opensource development. I saw you are one of the
> administrators so I though you would be best to ask you these. I'm
> looking to get involved with your project and help contribute. I've been
> working on it this weekend and I have some questions I can't seem to
> find answered either on Launchpad, or google. To keep it simple I've
> numbered my questions.

No problem, it's quite normal that you ask questions when you join a
project ;-) .

> 1. What is the best way to ask questions such as this. I'm on the
> mailing list should I post there? Is there an IRC channel or forums in
> addition?

I would prefer that you use the mailing list. This way we would keep the
 question in the archive and we could point someone else to the answer
or to the discussion. There is also an answers section on launchpad
http://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup where you can ask questions. I
think Jean-Peer who is the actual very active maintainer answers most there.

> 2. I'm a programmer by trade, where should I look first to get involved?

Well, actually, you are already involved. This is by asking to join the
project. Then the next step is to participate to the project.

Participating includes translating
(http://translations.launchpad.net/nssbackup), reporting bugs
(http://bugs.launchpad.net/nssbackup), coding
(http://code.launchpad.net/nssbackup) , answering questions
(http://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup) or defining functionalities
(http://blueprints.launchpad.net/nssbackup) .

> 3. Are we using subversion on sorceforge or bazaar on Launchpad to
> maintain our source code?

We use Bazaar on Launchpad to maintain the source code, in the code
section of the Launchpad page.

What I recommend to do first is to get the code, play with the software
to know the already existing functionalities.

If you wish to implement new functionalities, I would recommend that you
write a blueprint for it, then branch the code (the devel branch) and
work on it. You can push it on your own launchpad code page (using "bzr
push lp:~<yourlogin>/nssbackup/<branchname>)

you can also look for bugs to fix (this would allow you to know the
code) or for questions to answer.

> If you could get me pointed in the right direction it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Thanks to you for your participation.
Aziz