nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

[Question #116342]: tar takes a long time, 100% CPU, with no output

New question #116342 on NSsbackup:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

This morning my backups are taking a long time, how can I tell what tar is doing?

Previous incremental backups have taken up to 10 minutes, full backups up to 20 minutes (fairly new system and I haven't move most of my files onto the system yet).

This morning the first incremental ran for almost an hour until I killed it. The tar process was using 100% of a CPU, and the files.tar.gz was still zero bytes long.  I restarted it, and the tar process has 24 minutes of CPU time with no recorded output.

Question 1: Should I expect to see the tar file have zero bytes until the end, or should I see the file size increase as it goes?

Question 2: How can I debug this?  Is there a way to get debug output from tar as run from nssbackup 0.2.1?

NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.