nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #116342]: tar takes a long time, 100% CPU, with no output

Question #116342 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

B.J. Herbison confirmed that the question is solved:
Several updates:

Sorry for the imprecise wording. At the time I wrote my last update no
backups had worked for several days.

After Jean-Peer mentioned "2 hours of preparation" I left my machine on
overnight. The incremental backup accumulated 420 minutes of CPU time
before I killed it this morning, so if if the problem is the same as
what Jean-Peer saw I'm not patient enough to find out.

After I killed the process I changed my backup schedule so a full backup
was due and started another backup. The full backup completed. I then
started another and an incremental backup completed successfully.

Lessons learned:

o  There are bugs in tar incremental backup as invoked by nssbackup.
Sometimes it will take hours to get started, sometimes over seven hours
(and possibly some runs will never finish).

o  If there is a problem, run a full backup. This will at least clear
the problem temporarily.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue.  I'll try to remember to
let you know if I see this problem again so we know whether this is a
one-time fluke or something that I regularly trigger because of the
types/names of files I create and backup.

(On possible source of the issue: I dual-boot this machine with Windows
7 and include some of the Windows files in my backup. The problem file
may have been caused by files created when Windows booted, so the file
name may be something that wouldn't normally be created by a Linux
program. That could explain why I saw the problem but most people
don't.)

I created three bug reports (one trivial UI bug and two suggestions for
enhancing the configuration) based on my experiences.

NSsbackup team, which is an answer contact for NSsbackup.