nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #140592]: restore/revert produces only empty folders

Question #140592 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/140592

Jean-Peer Lorenz proposed the following answer:
Hello,

thanks for using sbackup. I don't fully understand your problem. It is,
of course, possible to restore directories and files from a snapshot!
I've tried it 5 min ago in order to confirm that it does work ;-)

I'll explain it:

Given you have a set of snapshots: full one and several incremental one.
Files are only stored when they have changed, i.e. the latest
incremental snapshot will only contain modified and new files as well as
the directory structure.

The graphical UI provides 4 buttons:

----------------------------------
|  Restore  |  Restore as  |
|---------------------------------|
|  Revert     |  Revert as     |
----------------------------------

As already explained in https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+faq/1325
there is a different behaviour between Restore and Revert. Restore
extracts files and directories contained in the *selected* snapshot. In
contrast, Revert extracts files and directories from the selected
snapshot *and* its predecessors in reverse order.

That is, if you select the latest incremental snapshot (lets say it only
contains unmodified files) and click 'Restore' it will restore only
empty folders. If you click on 'Revert' it will restore all files and
directories in reverse order. Same holds for 'restore as' and 'revert
as'.

HTH.

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.