nssbackup-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #143229]: Mount tape drive error

Question #143229 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/143229

Anton posted a new comment:
Jean-Peer, tar writing to tape is indeed trivial, in stead of
tar zcvf /var/local/backup/today/files.tgz
you would do
tar zcvf /dev/rmt/0n

This needs one or two changes to sbackup's behaviour, depending in what behaviour and features you want.
One option would be to let sbackup create all the other 'housekeeping' files in the backup directory on disk, and only redirect the archive to tape; that would allow one to find backups and browse files without reading from tape (I think; if not that would be a nice feature to add at some point). A config option to set the backup device name would be needed, which should be passed to sbackup's routines that start the 'tar' command.
The other would be to set the existing backup dir config option to the device name, test whether it is directory or device when a backup is about to be started and then if it is a device forget about all the 'housekeeping' files and write only the archive directly to the device.

( If you want to get fancy, you'd like to include support for tape
robots as well ;-) )

As for DVD, why would anyone want them as backup medium? imho, they are
too small, too expensive, too slow and not quite as reliable as one
might think (I get about 10% failure when I burn a batch of DVDs!).

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.