nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Framework in GAC

Hi Jamie,

> >> This isn't a problem if 'Specific Version' is set to 'True'
> >>
> Sorry, I should have said - this isn't a problem if 'Specific Version'
> is set to 'False' (the default is 'True').

OK - now I'm confused. Tests have to use the specific version of the
framework they are built against. That's always been true without
the GAC and would be true with the GAC as well.

How could using another version solve the problem when it might not
support some assert or constraint used in the test?

Or am I still not understanding you?

> > I guess I was mostly thinking about folks using it for their tests,
> > who don't usually publish
> >
> I was thinking of open source projects that use NUnit for
> their tests (and publish them).

Ah. Yes that's fair. We should think about that.

I guess such projects could either distribute the framework or
tell you what version to install. I'd be in favor of distributing
the framework  - but not any other part of NUnit.

If the user didn't have that framework version in the GAC, the
supplied assembly would be loaded. But if the same version were
in the GAC, the GAC copy would be loaded. Either would work.

I think the problem with the GAC only arises if you change an
assembly without providing a new version. We don't do that.

Charlie