nuvola-player-devel team mailing list archive

Majority of code of Nuvola Player relicensed under BSD 2-Clause license

Dear friends,

I've recently[1] relicensed all code where I'm a sole copyright holder
under the BSD 2-Clause license[2] (also called "Simplified BSD
License"). Just in case you are not familiar with it: It's a
permissive free software license used by the FreeBSD project[3]. It's
approved by both Open Source Initiative[4] and Free Software
Foundation[5], and compatible with Debian Free Software Guidelines[6]
and with GNU GPL[5].

I believe this change makes my code (especially library-like Diorite
namespace[7]) better reusable in non-GPL projects. However, Nuvola
Player is a combined work that consists of a code with various
licenses[8], so as a whole it must follow terms of all of them. The
most restrictive license is GNU GPL 3.0+.

Preferred licenses for future contributions to the project are BSD
2-Clause license for code and CC BY 3.0 for artwork.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fenryxo/nuvola-player/trunk/revision/388
[2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fenryxo/nuvola-player/trunk/view/388/licenses/BSD-2-Clause.txt
[3] http://www.freebsd.org
[4] http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php