ooc-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [ooc-dev] "Implicit As"

Hi there,

can we think of any *nice* use-cases for implicit as besides the String-Char* thing? If yes, IMO we should allow it and make it accessible to the user, if no, we should add a special case in the compiler only handling String/Char*.

Another issue: Can we really just use a `s` to `s data` transformation? Will `String` have a simple `data` attribute that can be used when passing instances to C functions? (I'm no unicodeguru, so I might be very very wrong, please correct me) For example, if we're going to store Strings as an array of 2-byte values (kind of UTF-16?), we can't just pass this `uint16_t*` to extern C functions, but we'd rather need to convert it to a simple Char* containing UTF-8 first -- right? We couldn't just replace `s` with `s data` then, rather with `convertToUTF8(s data)`.

I hope my point is clear somehow a bit.

Cheers,

Friedrich