ooc-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Singletons?

I always forget to hit Reply all :P

Yes, surely your way to make a singleton will work. What I don´t like is :
* it's not clear... it's kind of mesy, and looking at a class you wouldn't
notice at first sight that's a singleton.
* The same as with a lot other things: nothing prevents you from subclassing
/ instantiating more tan once.
I know that protecting the developer from himself is not something ooc cares
about... we have no privates, so maybe that 2nd point means nothing to you.

On the other hand, if I use namespaced imports, I would be solving the
problem of someone subclasing / instanciatint the "singleton", and it would
really act as a Singleton, right? The initialization code I write in a file,
outside any class, will be executed only once.

But again, I don't like that I can import normally that file and use the
funcitionality of my "singleton" in a non object-oriented-like way. Also I
don't like that namespaced imports are not for that.

I think I'll end up doing it the way you described anyway.