opencog-dev team mailing list archive

Re: merging work into opencog/main

Hi,

I don't think the current tree requires this sort of formality. I'd say that the current recommendation -- 1. work on your own branch; 2. refine
and test it; 3. if necessary request a review; 4. merge to trunk --
would work pretty well if *everybody* worked like that. Joel (and
myself) seem to be following this, but there are others who are not. :-(

What can we do about that? Will such unnamed others let us know what's wrong with the current guidelines? Alternatively, what can we do to get everyone to adopt them?

Anyway, there seems to be some requests for more "openness" lately --
which I believe is only fair -- and perhaps we should recommend that
everyone publishes his/hers local branches to launchpad more frequently,
even at the early stages. I'm particularly guilty of not doing this
(for a number of reasons: perfectionism; bzr inability to easily rewrite
the revision history; launchpad's horrible performance; etc) but I'm
sure I can change! :-)

As maintainer of the main branch, we expect you to set the example for us all ;-).

ot sure about this one either. IMHO, there are many (good) reasons why
a branch might be left untouched, stray from main and still provide
useful insight into future work.

This is a good point, but that's not an actively modified branch right now. I think Dave was more concerned with branches that are under active development straying too far from main.

From the other replies, there seems to be a general consensus that we
need an unstable branch. So here's a proposal: after I land the 'dynamic
modules' branch (which is a fairly large patch) and the .deb packages,
I'll rebase it again against the latest changes from Linas and --
preferably after others test and review it -- I'll publish it as
'unstable' (or whatever you'd like to call it) under the '~opencog- dev'
workspace.

Sounds good to me.

Cassio