Re: lp:~therp-nl/ocb-addons/7.0_lp1234004_configurable_auto_confirm_mo into lp:ocb-addons

Review: Disapprove

Hello Ronald,

I have a few issues with your patch and I advocate for another solution which I believe is more generic.

Issues:

1 it sounds more like a new feature than a bugfix. It's a bit annoying to diverge from the 'official' codebase in the OCB branch for adding features unless there is a huge consensus. I'm in favor of making it easy to add extra tracking branches atop of OCB instead for that kind of things, like we do with the RS-OCB branches. Yes bzr makes cherry-picking slow, well I have git mirrors of all that on Github if that's of any help https://github.com/akretion/openerp-addons

2 I've seen practical cases where not validating production orders directly is done per product rather than as a global setting like here. Some products have always the same BOM and are validaded automatically, while some other may specifically require some care before triggering the production.

Proposal:

My proposal is instead to clean a bit my module mrp_production_adhoc http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~akretion-team/openobject-addons/mrp_production_adhoc/files/head:/mrp_production_adhoc/ and include it in the OCB modules. IMHO it is more generic and has the following advantages:

1 not invasive in the official codebase

2 it has a per product setting. Though that could be improved: today, if a product has no BoM, the MO will be created but in draft state. Then you can set a BoM manually or add products manually (I should ensure it's exactly this, but if it's not it would be easy to change for it). We could improve that so that even some products with a BoM could have a setting for not validating the MO automatically. Not validating automatically is done by adding an extra transition in the workflow http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~akretion-team/openobject-addons/mrp_production_adhoc/view/head:/mrp_production_adhoc/mrp_workflow.xml

3 But mostly, it supports adding manually extra products to be consumed and it will schedule their procurement properly like the products automatically coming from the BoM. If you don't want to automatically validate the MO, it's quite likely you may want to change a component. Well mrp_production_adhoc is designed for this.

4 it has been used successfully in production in a 500 employees company for 18 months now. It's used in a mechanical engineering company where MO's BoM's are all specific and come from CATIA or Pro-engineer CAD-CAM instead of being pre-defined.

Now, yes, I agree, my module could be improved. Specially, we went for cloning the MO form screen completely in my context, but that could be done in a smoother way (adding an extra menu or overriding field_view get may be).

What do you think? We just started the process of migrating that company to v7. I can rework things a bit and ask for inclusion in an OCB manufacturing branch if you support the idea.

Regards.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~therp-nl/ocb-addons/7.0_lp1234004_configurable_auto_confirm_mo/+merge/189005
Your team OpenERP Community Backports Team is subscribed to branch lp:ocb-addons.