what is the reference_type field for in account.invoice

Hi,

Could someone tell me what can the reference_type field be used for in
advance.invoice?

I'm developing a series of modules to extend account.invoice, the main thing
is that some countries have special requirements for storno and advance
invoices that could be achieved with separate templates.
To satisfy this requirement I thought about the following:

1. create a module that adds a new type field to advance.invoice
2. create 2 modules for storno and advance invoices with their respective
invoice templates

the question is, can the reference_type field be safely used to store the
invoice type?

nota bene: I know that there is another type field in account.invoice, named
"type", this stores "Supplier invoice", "Customer invoice", as a storno,
advance invoice is still a supplier/customer invoice, I don't think it would
be wise to extend that listing. but feel free to convince me about the
opposite. :)

thanks for your answers,
Viktor