Re: OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

On 01/10/2012 03:45 AM, Jonathan Vargas wrote:
> First have all of you a nice new year, I am new at the list.

Welcome aboard!

> I plan to start using and testing 6.1. I started with openerp 6.0.3's
> debian packages, and since then some questions arose with new 6.1 version:
>
> 1. Is it safe now to start using 6.1's trunk for production? Or are
> still critical bugs?

There aren't much major bugs left, you can see the list for yourself on
the bugtracker. 6.1 is pretty much ready for release candidate, we're
polishing some final details and can expect an RC very soon.

> 2. I plan to use ubuntu-server 11.10, are the nightly DEB's builds
> recommended for this?

Sure, but the nightly deb builds are quite new, so there might still be
some minor glitches. We'd appreciate any testing/feedback you can
provide, here or on the bugtracker.

> 3. If I want to use trunk version without using DEB's, which software
> stack/versions/dependencies would I need?

The dependencies for 6.1 are almost the same as those listed for 6.0 on
our install doc: any OS (as long as Python 2.6+ and PostgreSQL 8.3+ are
supported), and a certain number of Python dependencies, as listed on
[1,2,3]. 6.1 changes the minimum Python version from 2.5 to 2.6 and adds
a few additional dependencies, I think mostly the following:
- web: python-werkzeug
- server/addons: python-openid, python-babel, python-vatnumber

You can have a look at the server's setup.py[4] to see the full list of
dependencies. Some are only needed if you install specific addons.

> 4. Where is an updated install manual for 6.1, server and clients?

It should be in the 6.1 version of our documentation, but that has not
been updated yet[5]. If you'd like to contribute, the documentation is
editable by anyone[6] ;-)

> 5. When 6.1 will be publicily released?

RC1 is due very soon (days rather than weeks), and the final version can
be expected a few weeks after RC1, depending on the amount of bugs
detected. So that would mean early 2012 for the final 6.1..

> 6. When will a newer stable version, greater than 6.1, be released?

The roadmap has not been precisely defined yet. The current release
cycle is explained in the documentation[7], but it is likely to need
some updates for next version.

Have a nice day!

[1] Server deps:
http://doc.openerp.com/install/linux/server/index.html#installing-the-required-packages