Re: [Merge] lp:~openerp-community/openerp/skitzotek_trunk_symlinks into lp:openerp

On 02/16/2012 03:32 PM, "Lionel Sausin, de la part de l'équipe informatique Numérigraphe" wrote:
Le 16/02/2012 15:22, Simone Orsi a écrit :
(...) you just update other packages dep according to the new name of the package.
Won't that be a problem in itself? We have not communication channels and no central authority,

are you sure? what´s the role of OpenERP sa then? :) Who does the releases?

And the problem -- as said from many community members, many times -- is not the lack of communication channels but the lack of the communication itself.

And....voilá: look at the last message of the merge thread this discussion comes from:

https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-community/openerp/skitzotek_trunk_symlinks/+merge/93115/comments/201673

we just discovered that the ¨make server/init/bla bla¨ stuff is going to die... and that´s not bad but again we don´t what we have to expect..... :S

so how will I even know when a name changes?
Or do we make transitional packages a la debian to keep compatibility?

The only real problem is whether you have to do a migration because of the change. In that case a migration pattern must be provided along with the new OE release.

Pinning the right version of the right package --whatever the name-- is a task for the release manager.

Using the right tools (eggs dependencies, buildout & co.) this is relative simple task.