Performance in accounting reports

Hi there,

are there significant performance improvements these times on the big accounting reports, such as the general ledger ?

I know this is a recurring question, but I'd like to get a clear picture of the current state of the art, rather than crawling archives and numerous bug reports, and maybe missing the main part.

We have a case to solve of a 6.0 database on which the general ledger is so slow and resource intensive that it does not complete before the human timeout (about 1h) while bringing overall the server to its knees.