Re: A need of expert validated modules

2012/6/21 Raphael Valyi <rvalyi@xxxxxxxxx>

> This is still not over however, as I said repeatedly, we are in a
> situation where the vast majority of the community, even the professional
> one supposed to be the basis of OpenERP SA business model, was prey much
> unable to locate and install good extra-addons. Having now to locate and
> download/keep in synch several branches instead will certainly not help to
> get more people started nor help us to share our modules between us in
> order to consolidate their quality. The case with magentoerpconnect and its
> dependencies branch is a perfect illustration of this: who knows how to set
> up the proper dependencies branch? Very few people we had to teach
> individually...

Yes, I learned this the hard way too :)
The key point here is that each project should have it's own documentation
that clearly specifies how to install and which versions to require.
In the magentoerpconnect project this is pretty good but there are still
some links to dead branches and some information being outdated.

> Some of us from Akretion will meet OpenERP SA guys at the beginning of
> July and fixing this is on our top priority list. I sent a message about
> this on the expert list and got no answer unfortunately. The idea is to
> extend the "depends" __openerp__.py keyword abilities in order to be able
> to mention a specific repository URL and version/revision so that
> developers or even dependencies resolution tools could use.

I saw this and added my opinion on some more changes to the __openerp__.py
dictionary (such as list for 'author' keyword instead of a string)

This whole debate is a hot topic though, just take a look at the history of
python packaging and all the spin-off there :
http://guide.python-distribute.org/

We would need a similar documentation effort (preferably coordinated with
OpenERP SA) to get current and accurate documentation to be easily findable.

My current regret with http://doc.openerp.com is that it's so very easy to
break some parts of because of the wide amount of formats the .rst files
get converted to, such as PDF's and other book formats/versions, not to
mention their monkey-patching to build some new functionality which as it
turned out was already in sphinx.

--
Niels Huylebroeck
Lead Architect   --   Agaplan