Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

On 10/15/2012 11:08 AM, Marco Dieckhoff wrote:
> In this context, can you elaborate on the future of the XMLRPC interface, also
> but not exclusively regarding backwards compatibility and thus stability
> towards external programs?

There is no plan and no reason to drop XML-RPC support, it is a key integration
protocol. The XML-RPC API has not changed for a long time, and carefully
maintained compatibility thoughout OpenERP versions (who noticed that 6.1 came
with an improved XML-RPC spec including standard exception handling?)

Even though JSON-RPC was better suited for the web client than XML-RPC, they
have similar capabilities and ubiquity, so both are great interoperability
assets for OpenERP. They also require little to no maintenance (they represent
little code in the OpenERP framework and don't change often). So in both
strategical and technical terms, it makes no sense to stop supporting XML-RPC.

> I assume part of the anxiety of loosing the GTK client is that the web client
> doesn't need XMLRPC (anymore), and that it may be changed regarding compability
> or deprecate in terms of functionality in the near future.

Let's dispel those false beliefs quickly, there's no reason to link one with
the other. Think about it: JSON-RPC support could be added to the GTK client
very easily, it supports 2 protocols already (XML-RPC and Net-RPC).
So XML-RPC could have been deprecated already if there was any plan to do so.

Really, there's no connection between the two: XML-RPC will be supported for
the foreseeable future.