Re: What's best practice for importing A/P and A/R balances when migrating to OpenERP?

Generally what I do is this.

Create the relevant periods.
Then do a single Sales Journal or Purchase journal import for each period.

So in the case of debtors (assuming all positive balances)

dr partner a debtors a/c
dr partner b debtors a/c
dr partner c inv 1 debtors a/c
dr partner c inv 2 debtors a/c
cr retained earnings.

For each period.  Generally if the debt is really old I just put it into
the oldest period rather than create years worth of periods.

With one line for each invoice and the invoice number from the old system
as the name.  All aging is then correct and all payments can be applied
against those journal entries and they appear as an invoice in payments
screen.

Then for the rest of the accounts just do a trial balance from the old
system and subtract debtors from retained earnings figure and add creditors
for the main opening balance entries.