Re: Confused about meaning of "You cannot create more than one move per period on a centralized journal."

On 01/11/2013 01:53 PM, Phil Frost wrote:
I am attempting to create journal entries to bring my 2013 opening
balances into OpenERP. So, I made a journal entry in the "Opening
Entries Journal", in "Opening Period 2013". No problem there. However,
when I try to save the second journal entry, I get this error:

Error occurred while validating the field(s) journal_id: You cannot
create more than one move per period on a centralized journal.

The solution I'm going with is to uncheck the "Centralized Counterpart" option in the configuration for the "Opening Entries Journal".

After trying to discover what this option actually does, I've given up. My best understanding is that this doesn't have any general accounting meaning, but instead enables some functionality necessary for the "Generate Opening Entries" wizard. Since that wizard only works if there is also a previous year to close, it's not relevant in my circumstances.

Unchecking the box allows me to create multiple entries in the journal for a single period, so I can make adjustments as the previous year's books get closed. Further, there seems to be no reason I can't re-check the "Centralized Counterpart" option at the end of 2013 when I'm ready to run the wizard.