Seeking clarification on reconciliation functionality in 7.0

The Problem:

I've just received a monthly statement from the bank, and I want to be sure I did not forget to add any entries, and that the bank did not make any wrong entries.

I'm a bit confused by the overloading of the term "reconcile" in the interface and the documentation. In some places, it seems to refer to matching payments to invoices -- that's not the kind of reconciliation I'm seeking.

I thought maybe Accounting -> Periodic Processing -> Reconciliation -> Manual Reconciliation was the place to look, but that always says "No journal items found". I have an asset account representing the checking account, and "allow reconciliation" is checked. There is a journal for that account, and when I register a payment for an invoice I select that journal for the payment method. An unposted journal entry is created crediting A/R and debiting the checking account, and I can manually post it (is this necessary?), but still the manual reconciliation says "no journal items found".

Is there something I'm missing, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Follow ups