Re: Document management system

it seems that they just changed the way to do it, but the way to configure
it still undocumented...

By default attachments are stored in the database. You may choose to store
them on the filesystem by setting an
ir.config.parameter(Settings->Technical->Parameters-System parameters)
named
ir_attachment.location

Example if you set ir_attachment.location to file:///filestore

They will be stored in the filesystem at openerp root_path/filestore, the
new system uses sha1 to generate the filename so that duplicate files don't
take more space.

Only the file:/// scheme is implemented, modules can implement additional
scheme like amazons3:///

In database mode the data is stored in ir_attachment.db_datas.
Filestore mode file name is stored in ir_attachment.db_datas_fname.

Those names suck but we kept them for backwards compatibility.

http://help.openerp.com/question/709/how-to-implement-knowledge-management/