Re: Proposal to document addons incompatibilities

Hi there,

On 08/17/2013 12:41 PM, Bidoul, Stéphane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some community modules are incompatible with each other, or with core
> modules. It may not be desirable but it is sometimes unavoidable and
> is a fact today. Discovering such incompatibilities is a painful
> process, and there is no structured mechanism to communicate about
> them once they have been (re)discovered.
> This has been discussed in the past [1], but was not followed by
> concrete steps, AFAIK.
> As a first step, would the community agree with the addition of a
> field named "incompatible" in __openerp__.py, providing a simple list
> of module names that are known to be incompatible?
a bit late to that thread, but an obvious +1 from my side.
I won't repeat all the common-sense arguments that have been exposed by
others before.

I'd also favor the "Conflicts" terminology, that sounds familiar to me
and anyone doing at least a bit of Linux sysadmin, since it's used both
in Debian control files and RPM specs.

> This would be beneficial to the community, even without support in the
> core or apps.openerp.com <http://apps.openerp.com>, by letting module
> maintainers declare known incompatibilities.
>
> Populating this field can follow the normal merge proposal and review
> process.
>
> If it gains traction, tooling may support it in a second step.
Love the lean approach.

> Note that I consciously avoid the topic of version dependencies as
> this would open a bigger can of worms.
Too bad, erm, relax just kidding !

Regards

--