XMLRPC : special method for raw SQL instead of search + read ?

Hello,

[this is my first message to the mailing list]

I would like to make a suggestion regarding XMLRPC (and even JSON).

Would it be good to add a special method, in order to be able to send raw SQL queries (SELECT only ) ?

Personal background : I've started to use XMLRPC (and some JSON) with OpenERP, and I've found it's much easier (and faster) to deal with SQL queries, rather than to compose XML queries for "search" and "read" methods.

Each basic query needs 2 XMLRPC queries : first a search, to fetch the IDs, and then a read. And it's double work on the client side, to process all XML data that are returned. Then we have to manage domain, context etc.

It's a tedious work for a simple SELECT.

And furthermore SQL is easier for complex queries, like JOIN.

I'm not an expert, so maybe there is a technical reason for OpenERP to not go this way. If that's the case, could someone explain it to me ?

Some people advised me to develop my own module, that would allow the direct processing of SQL SELECT queries. But a real"standard" solution, plug and play, would always be better.

What do you think about it ?

CD

Follow ups