Re: OpenERP CMS: How is server separation implemented?

Hello Fabien,

  Fist, I have congratulate you and your team for the great work you've
been doing. You're pushing opensource to new frontiers.

  I'm also glad to see that you're taking scalability issue seriously and
taking them into account in product development.
I'm sure pretty soon we'll see some independent benchmarking validating this.

  But I still worry about SECURITY,and I feel that I'm not alone in this.
  Firstly, before entering in technical aspects, the line of discourse I
hear on this is somewhat dismissive.
  The argumentation we hear goes between "we're sure it's secure, take our
word on it" and "the others aren't better".
  This is not very reassuring.

  Security is an complex issue, and it surely does not depend solely on
the application, but it's important to be sure that OpenERP is not a weak
link.
  It would be important for OpenERP to have a detailed security analysis.

  Take this example: web2py states[1] "web2py was reviewed for security
and you can find the result of the review in <ref>."
  And the detailed security analysis is avaliable at pythonsecurity.org[2].

  You can see most important web frameworks and ORMs are analysed there.
  Why not having something like this for OpenERP.
  With this you could surely state that "OpenERP is a secure platform, and
you don't need to take our word on this: see what the experts say".

  My constructive 2 cents.

  Regards
  /DR

Quoting Fabien Pinckaers <fp@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

 * When you're facing hundreds of orders a days and thousands visitors, you'll not succeed to have it all in one instance. Imagine, who will block his operation because they have too much click on their front-end ? Fors that reason (and security if you matter about), you'll prefer 2 servers.

Don't agree AT ALL.

  - OpenERP is built to scale (*)
  - A full featured OpenERP will be much faster than Magento or Prestashop

You point is only valid if magento or prestashop are faster and allow to scale more than OpenERP. But it's actually the opposite!

Why will OpenERP be always faster than MagentoCommerce and Prestashop. Because it's much simpler and, thus, much easier to optimize. Just check the number of lines of code:   - OpenERP (with ALL modules: CRM, Accounting, WMS, eCommerce, Events, ...): 150k lines of code, only 15k for CMS+eCommerce+events
  - Magento (WITHOUT any module, version 1.8): 918k lines of code
  - Prestashop (WITHOUT any module): 257k lines of code

So, at equivalent-features, OpenERP has around 10x less lines of code.
One is easier to optimize and scale and the others are not :)
It's not because we do more that we are more complex or slower.

(*) all massive read operations are O(1), we fine tuned it for huge transactions. Only one module was a bottleneck to scale huge sales, it's "stock", and its refactoring for v8 makes it become super fast and its speed is not anymore dependent on the number of historic transactions.

Our SaaS servers already manages millions of documents per server, without any issues. Try to do that with Magento.

 * base_synchro is clearely not an option to separate 2 OpenERP servers. It's has simply been abandoned by OpenERP for good reasons IMO (bad design, to many troubles in real uses cases, no atomic transaction to inappropriate to sync ERP datas).

base_synchro is not perfect. We still use it on some projects. We removed it from v7 because we think it's nor for end-users as it's too complex but it helped us a lot. Camptocamp's connector may be an option too.

My point is not to use this or that, but: it's much easier to sync OpenERP with OpenERP rather than OpenERP with something else.

* This included ecommerce is a great step forward and people will love it. But other e-commerce platform (like Magento, Prestashop and lot's of others) have years of experience and devs behind them. They provide lot's of advance products, sales and scaling features that you will not found in OpenERP E-commerce yet.

That's actually their main issue! They have years of technical debt.
They became bloated and have difficulties to evolve.

* In case you're running a important e-commerce solution, I think you will definitely keep 2 tools and use a connector in-between (like https://code.launchpad.net/openerp-connector)

For others purposes, like HR & recruitment, events publication and more, this new feature is clearly a big advantage. It will also serve small companies for their first e-commerce experience and that's great ! This is also a first step in the direction of having one tools to rules front and back end together. But I cannot reasonably imagine it's viable for middle to large companies currently.

If you think OpenERP eCommerce is not for big companies, you are missing the point completly. OpenERP is designed to handle big companies need, much more than current eCommerce software. We are only at v1 and I bet we can already serve big companies much better than Magento. I think that if we do a list of features, OpenERP has more green marks, even on v1!

Side note: our videos emphasized on useability and simple interface. It does not mean that we don't handle complex/advanced needs. It's OpenERP afterall :)

Another way to view this: the eCommerce module is only 2600 lines of code. Even if something is missing in v1, it's a piece of cake to add a new feature on such a clean structure. (and you don't have to learn a new language/framework)

module and ported to v7.  There is an outstanding merge request in to
server-env-tools on v7 branch which as yet has not been reviewed.  So if you require this functionality then please test it and get it
            merged.

            It adds a new module, base_synchro_auto for automating
synchronisation, automatic population of fields with boolean style selection of fields to sync.  There is a third module which I am trying to work out how to make generic which is an initialisation and configuration module for existing databases which will match up all
            the existing matching records prior to syncing.

            It won't do translations AFAIK (although maybe syncing the
ir_translations table does it, I don't know), but forms a good base
            upon which to extend.
https://code.launchpad.net/~gdgellatly/server-env-tools/base-synchro-7.0/+merge/200127

CAMPTOCAMP
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS