Re: Migrate from OpenERP V7.0 Custom to OpenERP SAAS-2 Custom

Hello

In lines.

2014-01-31 Nicolas Jeudy <njeudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> 1- I use OpenERP community module to be able to have OpenERP that can do
> the job for my french company (Services on OpenERP, OpenSource ..)

We have a lot of modules community too.

> 2- I have no OpenERP entreprise now, because when they do a migration,
> they migrate the core, and deactivate other modules. but how can you
> migrate crm.meeting to calendar.event if community module add some date on
> it ? how OpenERP take care of this ?

Let me show you how it works.

0.- Your db with "Old Data Model + Data Model Community" ->> Migration ->>
"New db with New data model + Whatever you had from Community"

Result : 2 dbs.

1.- One db with community modules disabled (For test porpose).
2.- One db WithOut Community Modules disabled (production).

Here you will face some problems in [2] with let's say 20 views on new
version, and you change 10 field name or re-use some new approach....

Make changes in your code (or pay to openerp to do that) whatever you want.
Test.
Test.
Test.

Give feedback to OpenERP if you think you are facing a problemwhich is them
gulty.

Repeat from [0].

How many times will you do that?

Until you feel comfortable enough (in our case from 6>7 the first time we
iterate 10 or 15 times but due that we migrate +250 modules in 3
localizations + addons-vauxoo and some community modules).

Document internally your migration to re-use this info in other customer
with other configuration of modules,

Comfortable?

Yes: Good, execute the plan to migrate your internal process (the human
part).

The second time (other customer) "Because I suppose you merge publicly your
changes of code in the second version and ad you use community standards".

You will iterate 2 or 3 times because your code is ready, but the data is
not....

Repeat with all your customers... to pay the first time approach and
"Everybody Win"

1.- The customer has the last version well tested (official by OpenERP non
official by you).
2.- You win money and your effort is fearly paid.
3.- The community has your internal tests done and available for everybody..

OTHER OPTION.-

[0] Build yourself the migration part based in some community tool.

Generate yourself db to test and to use.

repeat all the other process in test and migration stage. (it will be done
no matte how you migrate the db)

Iterate identically.

Regards.

--