News about the buildout recipe and shor-term roadmap

Dear all,

this is the first mail about the recipe in 2014. It's a bit late for
seasonal greetings, but nevermind.

There's been a nice community activity these days, with new contributors
! That requires a bit of tidying on our part.

Stable branch bump
------------------

The 1.8 series have been in constant use at Anybox on several projects
since last summer, with very few corrections needed.

In particular, the upgrade scripts strategy has kept its promises, and
new use cases have arisen (will talk about that later).

The 1.8 series also sport a much better documentation that the current
stable (1.7). The huge flat README.rst will then be a thing of the past.

Therefore, I will this week-end or early next week release version 1.8.2
and make 1.8 the new stable series.

Actually this should have been done during the fall, but there was no
immediate need, and we've been really, really busy.

New development series
----------------------
As soon as 1.8 is marked 'stable', I'll init a new 1.9 series. Although
new exciting features such as automatic merge of remote branches aren't
probably very dangerous, I think it's a good idea to target 1.9 for
their inclusions : this gives us some slack for maturation.

More tooling
------------
Anybox wishes to share a whole set of tools (Debian packages) that
leverage the recipe, we have too much unpublished stuff in our internal
repos.

This will take some time, though, as we need to de-entangle a bit with
internal policy, but stay tuned.

Cheers,

PS: I have a hard time following the trafic on this list, I'm not sure
not to miss messages, don't hesitate to send me a direct heads-up if I
don't react in a few days.
--
Georges Racinet
Anybox SAS, http://anybox.fr