Transition to GitHub

Hi everyone,

The transition from Launchpad to GitHub has just been announced, and it raises many questions.

First of all: Don't Panic!(TM) We should not lose anything in the process, and no urgent action is required on your side.

The new Odoo wiki at GitHub attempts to give a comprehensive overview of the transition, with the current status for each part:
   https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition

Please have a look at it, comment and propose updates. We *do* read all the feedback, even if we do not answer all the time.

If you're in a hurry, here is a quick summary of the transition steps and their current status, but please see the wiki page above for more details.
It will also be improved and updated as we make progress.

1. Source Code [In Progress]
All 3 bzr repos merged into 1 GitHub repo, and shrunk to 400MB, with history and metadata preserved: https://github.com/odoo/odoo
All official series/branches converted, `trunk` renamed to `master` (git fashion).

See the wiki for more details regarding the repository layout, etc.

WARNING: Some work is still being done in the old bzr branches on LP, but everything will be replayed automatically on the GitHub repo in the coming days, using this script[1]. One reason for this activity is the fact that the new runbot working with GitHub is not fully ready yet.

The bzr branches can be seen as staging branches that will be merged into GitHub very soon. They will remain available for a while, but will not have the latest changes.

2. Code Namespace [Planned Q2 2014]
`import openerp` -> `import odoo` to be implemented with backwards-compatibility in v8

3. Runbot [In Progress]
New runbot with GitHub integration will be ready soon.

4. Nightly Builds [In Progress]
Nightly builds and official installers will soon be updated to use the GitHub repositories

5. Bug Reports [In Progress]
All existing bug reports will stay on Launchpad for reference, and will not be duplicated on GitHub, to keep separate "namespaces". The option to report new bugs on the official projects on LP will be closed soon, and new issues will have to be reported on GitHub, via https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues.

After "closing" the bug tracker on LP projects, it will still be possible to search through the old bug reports using google and the umbrella "project group"[2]. Direct links to LP bug reports will still work.

The community documentation will be updated to explain the new process, including milestones, labels, etc.

6. Merge Proposals [In Progress]
Similarly to bug reports, existing LP Merge Proposals will stay on LP and should not be automatically transferred to GitHub. This will keep them next to the bugs they reference. Whenever such a MP is merged it can be forwarded to GitHub using the same replay script [1] as the official branches.

New contributions should come in the form of GitHub pull requests.
Note: No need to create multiple pull requests for the same patch, 7.0 bugfixes are automatically forwarded to 8.0.

7. Translations	[Planned Q3 2014]
The v8 release is too soon to allow setting up a new translation process on top of GitHub, especially as there is almost nothing built-in.

Translators will still continue to work on LP at least until v8 is released. We will set up a replay system to update the translation templates `addons/i18n/*.pot` on LP with the latest terms from master/v8.0 in GitHub. And in the other direction, we will replay the PO updates on `addons/i18n/*.po` from LP to GitHub.

After the release of v8 we will set up a new translation process, probably built on top of Transifex.

8. Apps	[In Progress]
The Apps platform will soon be updated to add support for GitHub repositories (while preserving bzr compatibility).

9. Help / FAQ [Done]
Already moved to new platform on https://www.odoo.com/forum - last quirks being fixed at the moment.

10. Mailing Lists [In Progress]
Official mailing list will be migrated to odoo.com mail groups [3], as GitHub does not have lists. This will be announced in each mailing-list before shutting them down. Mailing list archives will stay available for the foreseeable future (on LP itself and on nabble[4], for instance).

11. Technical/Community Doc [In Progress]
The technical documentation and the community book will be moved to the Odoo wiki or to .rst/.md files directly embedded in the Odoo repo. This will make them easier to edit/view/preview on GitHub. The technical memento will be updated for v8 and migrated to this form as well.

12. Functional Doc [In Progress]
The functional documentation for v8 is being rewritten/updated and will be published in the form of cookbook recipes on the new Odoo Help platform, as FAQ entries. Selected FAQ entries will be structured with a Table of Contents, and will be editable based on user karma, like other questions/answers.

The functional documentation archives (older versions) will be preserved as long as possible.

[1] https://github.com/odoo/odoo/blob/master/README.md#migration-from-bazaar
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject
[3] https://www.odoo.com/page/odoo-community
[4] http://openerp-community.2306076.n4.nabble.com/