Re: Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Hello Anthony,

I will just quote you:

"""
Here is my plan:

v8:

we keep "server/report" and "report_webkit" unchanged, but every report in
our addons are converted to qweb.

v9:

we remove "server/report" and "report_webkit" from our repository, "
report_webkit" will be moved to a community repo (like we do for every
deprecated module).

"""

It is a normal release cycle to deprate then to remove, even in OpenSource.
Such abruts abandon of addons may not entrust people with your partner
contract/guarantee...

I also think some PR where made on branche 7 if I'm correct.

As I said previously, I was was my self not against abandonning totally
report_webkit if we can convert all our work to qweb report.
But doing so will take the community some time to do it.

Now, if you really do not want to maintain it and the question is just
rethoric, Camptocamp/community will maintain the module.

Regards

Nicolas

> Thank you for asking.
>
> Weren't you the one who said about a month ago that you will support
> report_webkit through v8 and drop both rml and report_webkit in v9?
>
> Regards,
> Erdem
>

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Antony Lesuisse <al@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I would like to remove report_webkit from our master branch before
>> releasing v8.
>>
>> I think we wont maintain it properly and i expect that this will create
>> frustrations during the lifetime of v8.
>>
>> None of our modules use it at all (none ever did actually). Now that the
>> conversion from rml to qweb/wkhtml report is done, i consider that the
>> default report system of v8 is superior to report_webkit.
>>
>> It has all the advantages like the speed and html/css syntax, but it's
>> much more modular and versatile. It supports as many layout as you want,
>> images and view inheritance. The codebase is also smaller.
>>
>> report_webkit was a source inspiration when we developed the v8 pdf
>> report generation. And i would like to thanks its author Nicolas Bessi.
>>
>> On github we already have 2 pull requests (PR) about it, i dont want my
>> developers to spend time on code that is not used at all by any addons.
>>
>> So report_webkit PR's will stay unprocessed and i dont think the module
>> deserve that.
>>
>> Would oca be motivated enough to take over the module to ensure proper
>> maintenance.
>>
>> Antony Lesuisse.

Nicolas Bessi
Senior ERP consultant