git: branch names

Hello,

I've noticed that git offers hierarchic branch names, and I think this
could be a useful tool for the management of branches and PR.

https://github.com/odoo-dev/odoo/branches seems to be using a flat
namespace similar to what was used in Launchpad, but I feel that this
could be vastly improved. Are there any github old timers who could
point us to the state of the art best practices here?

I've seen
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/273695/git-branch-naming-best-practices
and I like the "username/feature/issue-tracker-number/short-description"
scheme. Maybe a version number for the target branch should be added
somewhere.

Opinions?

--
Alexandre Fayolle