Re: Merge several modules to one

hello Denis,

generally speaking it's hard to believe merging is the solution.

Random things you can do in your case:

Sometimes you can declare a fake dependency like A < B even if it's not
true, but just to fix the load order. This is a hack, but probably better
than going for spaghetti code at large.

Sometimes if A and B both override some method and that loading order ca be
a problem. Sometimes, creating yet a new module C that both A and B will
depend on, with a proper abstraction in C can fix the problem.

Sometimes, if a core method is so badly designed that really it's
impossible to extend it multiple times, then consider that some base module
"monkey patch" the offensive bad method and transforms it into a decent
citizens for overriders. <subliminal_message> You know it's why I mad at
trying to get these kind of no-brainer changes in the core before the
release https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/915/files </subliminal_message>
<subliminal_message> and hell that one two
https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/913 </subliminal_message>

If monkey patching is too hard or if there is indertermination between
modules order that would introduce the monkey patch, well it's even less
critical to patch the core codebase with surgery patches that you properly
keep under version control so that the core methods get decent to override.
This is a hack, but again, better than going for spaghetti code.

Unit testing the modules is great.
But eventually you can add functional tests in the top level "profile"
module so that you ensure some tests are running with everything installed.

You can also test with tools outside from the OpenERP runtime (via RPC) so
you can test different installation scenario. Tools like OERPScenario or
Rspec/Cucumber if you use Ooor can do these kind of tricks.

So you see, doing sustainable Odoo customization is sadly nearly an art of
its own. But I believe it makes all the difference between projects that
will work and others that will die.

All right, back to the game ;-)

--
Raphaël Valyi