users not recognized in github

Hi all, I continue in public a conversation started with Pedro Baeza
about "unknown" commits on github.

I believe that this problem is not directly related to github: since
we all committed --author=email without specifying the name string, we
got commits that have exactly that (email but no name string).

If we take for example Nicola's commit "[MRG] stock_picking_webkit:
let some part of the data be noupdate" in

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~stock-logistic-core-editors/stock-logistic-report/7.0/revision/10

https://github.com/OCA/stock-logistics-reporting/commit/21d901ffc671203561d9ee214375c7bf6f1768c2

Then both launchpad and github recognise the email and point to
Nicola's user just fine.

On the other hand, from bzr and git on the command line we can see
that the name string is actually missing.

bzr: author: nicola.malcontenti@xxxxxxxxx
git: Author: unknown <nicola.malcontenti@xxxxxxxxx>

The difference being the slight detail that git shows "unknown" when
it finds an empty string.

For that reason I thought that manual fixing (with
https://github.com/OCA/maintainers-tools/pull/18) could give a slight
improvement to the history on the command line, at a moment when I
hope rewriting history is not giving trouble to anyone (new branch, no
active reviews).

It is a small improvement: for that reason, I would not impose that to
other maintainers porting branches to github, nor touch
already-migrated ones, nor do that if there are active reviews.

What do you think?

Thanks!