How do I install the 8.0 connector?

Hi,

I am new to Odoo, have a few months python experience, but am otherwise
a quite experienced programmer (30+ years). I need to write a connector
from Odoo-v8 to a telephony application.

The application runs on PostgreSQL, and I need to access that db directly.
It contains persons, companies that I need to live-synch with Odoo.

I found the v8 Connector, but when I git clone it into odoo/addons, it
actually
creates connector/connector. Is this intended? Of course I can just move the
directories around, but I want to conform to best practices.

Thanks,
Ron

Follow ups