14-15 Web sprint recap, 16-17 Web sprint preparation

Hello team.

The 14-15 sprint has now ended, I demoed the work to fp and al Thursday (they were pretty pleased overall), the next sprint (2010/16-17 web) has been created and all relevant tasks have been created from the selected backlogs.

Overall, I believe things went pretty well, but there are a few things we can improve for the next sprint.

First I'll reply to your concerns, then I'll move on to issues on the Belgian side (mine and al's, mostly).

As always, I'm available on jabber or via mail (directly or via the team's list) for any question or reply or feedback.

=== Sprint 14-15 Conclusion — India ===

> - As per my experience with this sprint, Sometimes its not possible to complete task in assigned hours because of R & D sometimes.

Do not worry too much about assigned/planned hours, they're estimates to plan sprints (match the sprint's work load to the number of people available). If the actual work goes above planned, simply use the "Review" button to correct plan. It will help me (mostly) refine my ability to estimate time needed for tasks, and guarantee that the sprint's tasks can be done.

Apart from sprint planning and recap, assigned/planned hours don't impact anything. And they're not "hard" limit, you can go beyond if need to, just means estimate was bad.

> - Sometimes we have to work for Launchpad bugs so its good if we focus little bit on that also, may be stable bugs and trunk bugs. Because customer may use stable or trunk and sometimes in urgency they post bug. so atleast we should assign few hours for bugs also.

I try to under-set the task load for the sprint (~75%, so if 400 man hours are theoretically available I only set up 300h worth of tasks). This should leave time for bugs fixing and things like that. We'll have to see if it's enough. Launchpad bug-fixing are basically "out-of-tasks" work, but that's normal.

> We found in some cases that some backlogs could not be finish in specified sprint week so if you people forward/change to next week sprint it will be nice for us

It's been done. Don't worry, unfinished tasks will be ported to the next sprint (unless priorities are revised and they're "untasked" and put back in backlog for future use, which might happen)

If you have any other issue, don't hesitate bringing them up.

=== Sprint 14-15 Review — Belgium ===

As I said above, things went pretty well overall (I believe), but there are a few things that should be improved (note that some are mistakes I made in my previous mail):

* Generally, you shouldn't work from backlogs, backlogs are "future features" (things that would be nice to have or improve at some future point, maybe next sprint, maybe in 6 months). Use the Tasks instead, and ensure that you're working on tasks for the current sprint. However, note that checking a task's corresponding backlog can be a good idea (sometimes backlogs are edited but not the corresponding task, a failure on our side). You are also free to create backlogs to note your ideas or problems you find (do not create tasks).

* You select task you want to work on, goal is to end up doing everything anyway.

* When working on a task, it is important that you open it and that you assign it to yourself, so others can see what is being worked on.

* It is also important that "task work" items are created and correct, and that you use the "Review" button if real needed work is more than estimates. It will help us plan.

* Please use branches (create team branches in https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-dev-web, if you're not sure how to do, ask Navrang or me) and merge proposals. When merge proposals are created, all team members should check it, and everybody _can_ give review (not mandatory if you don't have anything to say of course). Currently we're not very good yet at merges (and that definitely includes me), but we can only get better, and they are important tools for quality and sharing knowledge I think. Note that previously I said to create branches in your user accounts, it was wrong.

I believe that's it for now, welcome back if you're reading this Monday, or have a good weekend if you're getting this Friday or during weekend.

yours truly,

Xavier Morel