Reporting development

Hi,

I've been following the work of c2c on account_balance. The reports surely
look cleaner but I find one feature missing on the balance_compare_years
report.

What would be really, really nice would be to be able to compare different
periods for the same fiscal year or different combinations.

For example:
1) Compare Fiscalyear 2008 Opening Period (a period with just the opening
balance) - against Fiscalyear actual balance
2) Compare 2007 2nd semester against 2008 first semester
3) Compare last period against actual period (cumulative or not...)
etc.

I've been looking at the account_balance code and it is really convoluted...
to many "flags" and switches with limited documentation just for adjusting
the presentation as far as I can tell.... so if I face this project I might
just start a new module unless some charitative soul could point me how to
tweak the account_balance code without breaking too many things...

Regards,
Pedro