Re: bank statement - some more misssing features comparing to V5

Hi Thorsten,

Good discussion I think. What I think becomes interesting about your point
about bank statement reconciliation and the set of capabilities is how the
process differs based on the size of the organization and segregation of
duties. At least across the pond here in the US.

Let me explain what we observe here . . .

In the US for a smaller operation - where possibly one person is managing
the full accounting and reconciliation process - an approach that allows a
user to do all steps efficiently in one "Super" do all wizard works well.
This issue is that this approach only works for the smallest of
organizations (one person managing the accounting) - and violates the
principle of segregation of duties in accounting common in the US - which is
designed to reduce fraud, embezzlement, internal in the organization. The
violation of segregation of duties/lack of financial control led to
significant legislation in the US over the last decade (aka SOX)

For larger organizations we see the approach to breakup the accounting
processes into various roles and duties - albeit at the cost of
efficiencies. So the old v5 bank statement wizard violates the segregation
of duties philosophy for all but the smallest of organizations - at least
here. And while segregation of duties helps on the "Fraud" perspective, it
of course is not the "most efficient way to operate the business", but still
seen as necessary. Call us skeptical/paranoid. This was driven by the lack
of "audit" capability found in most older accounting systems. If you do have
the Super wizard - then your ability to audit efficiently must be
"excellent".

I believe the lack of segregation of duties in the functionality is what
caused many individuals on some of the forums to state in the past "OpenERP
is completely unusable from a financial accounting perspective".

To demonstrate the segregation of duties and clarify my point - please see
the attached chart which I recently shared with OpenERP about the US market.
It shows the segregation principle as it applies to some activities in the
US in still relatively small companies - NOTE: it is not a comprehensive
list - I put it together to demonstrate the concept.

The other concept we have here is - matching/applying a list of banking
transactions (e.g. incoming payments) against invoices and the actual
review/monthly reconciliation of a bank account's transactions should be
done by a separate individual whenever possible in an organization.
Otherwise - someone can approve an outgoing payment and cover their tracks
with the bank too(Is this inefficient? Yes, of course. Does it provide a
better audit control? In theory, yes because it requires more than one
person to be involved in fraudulent activities.)

The impact I feel is - should OpenERP design the system for the one person
accounting shop - or does the design take on a segregation of duties
approach in the "base" system. It would be great if it easily could do both
surely - but there is a "cost to that all encompassing design" in the base
code I think.

At least that is my take currently. I hope this perspective at least shares
a little of what we are addressing in the US.

David Mitchell
President
NovaPoint Group LLC