Fixed Assets Mgmt module - locations

Dear all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask this, sorry about this!

I was asking myself, after suggesting in a previous mail that we should
use stock module's "location" features, how we should deal with this
issue.

i can see three ways:
1. leave location as a text field, free to use it.
2. connect location to the stock module (creating a dependence)
3. creating a "local" location structure, similar to the one in the
stock module.

while 1 is there already, maybe it does not answer all needs (which are
they???)

solution 2 is quite simple to implement. however, by creating a
dependency in the module, we force accountants to install a
non-accounting module, which I doubt is good practice! moreover, there
is no logical connection between stock and FA (well, they are both
assets, but bank accounts and cash are too ...)
I remember someone was advocating strong links to stock, so the two ways
seem reasonable :-)

solution 3 looks redundant. however, besides creating some tables, there
is no redundancy, as the FA locations WILL NOT be identical to stock
locations anyway (to be assessed). i would even think about keeping a
simple "base" module, essentially accounting-orientated, on which we
could "plug-in" modules which answer to physical management
(inventories, warranties, maintenance, users, and so on).

Of course, there might be other "solutions" besides my three ones, and
certainly more pros and cons.

Could you plese share your view?
thank you!
bogdan