Dual or Multi Exchange Rate

Dear all,

I would need a hint on how dual or multiple exchange rate is handled in OpenERP or if it can be handled at all. In essence dual or multiple exchange rate, is where you have more than one exchange rate for the same currency. In accounting we usually have commercial/book and spot/transaction rates, which I believe still can be handled in OpenERP though not with grace. In our country, we have a third exchange rate for taxation purpose.

Example case would be:
A. Difference of commercial/book vs transaction rates:
The base currency is USD, an invoice (be it supplier or customer, does not really matter) is booked in EUR, say EUR 700. At the transaction time, the exchange rate is 1 USD = 0.7 EUR. So the transaction will be booked as USD 1000. The invoice is to be paid in 3 payments. First payment is 30%, 2nd payment is 50%, and 3rd is 20%. Assuming that the first payment made in USD @ 1 USD = 0.75 EUR, it will be booked as USD 280 Suddenly something happen and cause the exchange rate to be 1 USD = 0.4 EUR when the 2nd payment is made.
It is made in USD and thus will be booked as USD 875.
As the total payment in USD is more than the invoiced amount to pay, the invoice is closed by OpenERP irregardless to the fact that in EUR, it is still not closed. I couldn't find a way to specify the equivalent value of the payment's transaction - which is made in USD - in EUR to avoid closing of the invoice.

B. Taxation rate
In our country (Indonesia), VAT of transactions made in forex is to be booked against a rate specified by the tax office irregardless of the commercial/spot rate. So, an invoice (supplier/customer does not matter) of say USD 1,000 @ IDR 8500/USD will be booked as USD 1000 = IDR 8500. The VAT will be caculated as 10% * USD 1000 * tax_exchange_rate. The tax_exchange_rate, most of the time, will not be IDR 8500, but something like IDR 8550 or so. I'm thinking of creating a different currency for the tax. But couldn't figure out how to get it work.

Appreciate if I could be given hints on how those scenarios can be handled in OpenERP.

Many thanks,
- Ivan Wirawan

Follow ups