cancelled invoice creation

hi,

I've notived that currently openerp cancels an invoice by simply copying
over the old invoice lines to the new invoice, and adding a negative sign
only on the printed invoice.

To me this seems to be awkward! AFAIK, every invoice software cancels an
invoice by negating the quantities on the original invoice, and this gives
the proper negative values when printing an invoice. To me negating the
amount in the system itself seems to be a much cleaner solution than using
positive numbers in the system.

I don't know what lead to the current design, but I find it extremely
flawed. E.g. an impossible to solve situation is the following:
1. take an invoice
2. create a draft cancel invoice from the original invoice
3. notice that your cancel invoice was wrong
4. try to create a canceling of the cancel invoice -> impossible, you would
end up with a normal invoice and positive invoice number, but you would
like to get a refund invoice with positive invoice numbers

How do the current numbers go on to the other parts in accouting? Would
changing the canceling logic alter much of the system? Is here anyone who
knows this?
Anyway. I have to say that even if it's a dramatic change in the codebase,
it would result in a much nicer, more logical and easier to maintain code,
and speaking about accounting, I find this a crucial issue.

Would you be so kind to give your opinion on this, or tell me why my
considerations above are wrong.

Thanks,
Viktor