Re: About Prepayment in ecommerce workflow

Hi

I have come across this issue over the years on several continents.

Based on my experience, I prefer a generalised treatment of prepayments, annual payments and subscriptions.

To take a simple example - Insurance Premiums.

In the first place the invoice should be debited to a Current Asset Account (Insurance Prepayments) and credited to Accounts Payable (Creditors). Secondly, each accounting period, an appropriate charge, usually based on the period as a proportion of the total amount prepaid, is debited to the expense account and credited to the Prepayments account.

It then becomes a fairly simple matter to automate the required entries to allow for different accounting periods (weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc), clearing up residual balances and making adjustments where amounts payable are adjusted after the event.

In an ideal world prepayments by customers should be capable of being handled by the same processes, with appropriate flags set, similarly to the way some creditors ledgers are set up as mirror images of debtors ledgers.

It reminds me that in this day and age, any ERP software should easily handle weekly accounting, so any coding to cover prepayments should avoid fixation on monthly accounting.

Robin St.Clair