On reporting systems for OpenERP

Hi everyone,
Raphaël (who's trying to organize the world and seems to be achieving it ;-)
forwared me in private a conversation he had regarding the new OpenOffice
engine.

I thougt that instead of mantaining the conversation in private we better move
it to the appropiate mailing list.

There seems to be a lot of options when using a reporting engine in OpenERP.
Here's a really small comparison of several (I might be missing) report
engines currently integrated. Not sure about all statements below, so feel
free to correct me:

RML
Advantages: tightly integrated, python, fast.
Disadvantages: lacks a *good* designer

OpenOffice
Advantages: designer, output in PDF and ODT
Disadvantages: slow (not sure about that, please those with experience speak-
up), depends on openoffice on the server

Cheetah
Advantages: python, fast
Disadvantages: no designer, HTML only

Mako
Advantages: python, fast
Disadvantages: HTML only

Jasper Reports
Advantages: designer, fast, output in (PDF, ODT, ODS, XLS, TXT, RTF, DOC) with
several levels of quality, though.
Disadvantages: java based

I'm sure all those who have plugged a new reporting engine have done it being
sure none of the alternatives suited their needs. At least that is our case
with Jasper Reports. I think I'd be nice to have:

- a list of pros and cons of each reporting engine (were they shine and lack)
- a system that sucks a bit less for creating new engines. (e've had to make
some ugly hacks for Jasper Reports, for example)

Comments?

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~report-openoffice-team/report-
openoffice/trunk

--