Re: We NEED modules documentation

By the way,

Here is what the competitors are capable of with documentation:
http://wiki.openbravo.com/wiki/Functional_Documentation/ProductionManagement
Would be great if we could have such functional diagrams too.

However, I would like to emphasis that unlike Openbravo leads seems to
believe, open source just doesn't work like bullshit closed source.
Specifying stuff and then paying anything that is required (or better said:
any cheap that will fit the budget) to get non outstanding developers to
implement the spec in a non outstanding manner is not how sustainable open
source works. Sustainable open source works in first place when
outstanding development is done, documentation is just a bonus, and in our
case a very welcome one.
BTW, I recommend that good interview from DHH (Rails creator) where he
states this once again:
http://uxmagazine.com/strategy/less-is-better

A bit like OpenERP, Openbravo recently outsourced to India, where
low development costs fooled them (or their investors) into believing they
can shortcut how real sustainable open source development works and still
remain competitive, which is not true when you consider the whole project
ecosystem and life cycle (implementing a spec without have code and
architecture quality at first place quickly lead to unmaintainable
software). OpenERP had a better start, let's just hope they don't fall into
the same misconception.

So, I'm all for documentation, by far we are lacking community processes to
elaborate module documentation, but still I want to warn those tempted by
the spec first approach from the old waterfall proprietary methodology that
fail in the open source world. The test first approach however works and
when tests become spec such as with Cucumber and OEScenario (
http://www.openobject.com/forum/topic13732.html ), the new test framework by
CampToCamp, then you have the best of the two worlds at work.

My 2cts

Raphaël Valyi
http://www.akretion.com