Rép : Field for Geo Location?

Hello,

I think OpenERP lacks a true GIS data support, but I think we should provide a complete solution that will handle common GIS problematics, like WGS encoding,
and projection, shape management, points and basic query. Postgres provide the most advanced GIS support in relational database world with The postGIS extension. Most of the OpenGeo Consortium standard are supported. The best way to dos this is to integrate the support of geom type directly in OpenERP ORM.

I have started to write a spec document in collaboration with our GIS business unit team (Camptocamp also is an OpenSource WebGIS solution editor). I will share it when it will be complete enough and maybe provide of small proof of concept.

Regards

Nicolas

Le 22 juil. 2010 à 10:22, P. Christeas a écrit :

> While reading some specification, and looking at my GPS on the desk, I
> remembered:
>
> Do we have a field for geographical coordinates? How have any modules
> implemented such a thing?
>
> I suggest that we add such a field type (like integer, binary, float) in the
> *core framework* and do that now, so that all modules will correctly use it in
> an uniform way..
>
> Clients could make free use of such a field, eg. display it as 2 floats (lat,
> long) or even a (google/open) maps widget.
>
> WDYT?

Nicolas Bessi
Senior ERP consultant
Business Solution technical leader