float errors propagating to 10^-2 in OpenERP v5...

Hi Raphaël,

I answer directly on the experts-mailling list on your question : Is there any legal statement for this rounding trouble ? Is it just boring or really forbidden ? Will the accountancy of OpenERP rejected because of this ?

Luc is on holidays, but I just had a talk with our new finance consultant (also more than 10 years experience...), and here are our conclusion.

This is a well known problem for accountant and account reviewer (Controleur de gestion). In for example SAGE ERP, they had the same trouble 5 years ago (ok, I know, this is not a reason to be that bad, I agree:). This result not as a "legal problem" but needed to pass a lot of writing of 0,01 cents to make it correct for the annual review. This is really a boring situation...

It could also be an important trouble when consolidating the account plan in different currency, cause there you will cumulate the rounding. As a result, the numbers will be quite erroneous ! You will not be able to make that directly into OpenERP for that reason !

In conclusion, we think here at Camptocamp that it is not a legal mandatory stuff. But it is a real shame for OpenERP and a big source of "non-understanding" from a lot of people. This directly cut down the little quality reputation that we might have gain all this past year. We really think that OpenERP should make something for that. Adding the decimal is probably the good solution to avoid all those troubles, so we might start that ASAP !!

This are our 2 cents.

Regards,

Joël

--