openerp-expert-localization team mailing list archive

Re: Translating OpenERP with Transifex.

On Friday 29 October 2010 P. Christeas wrote:
> Given the serious disadvantages of Launchpad for translations, I have spent
> couple of hours testing an alternative: Transifex.
what I have done
* downloaded one/all module translations from launchpad
* translated these with lokalize (KDE translation tool)
* uploaded of the tranlsated po file one by one necessary (unsuitable for 500+
modules as it tak more time to downlaod/upload some small modules than
translating)

IMHO what would be ncesessary to have (both)
1- bzr access to the po files for translators i.e. these must reside outside
of the trunk repository which is of course only accessible by committers

2- an OpenERP Module to extract and upload translation directly from/to
launchpad (user must be registered as launchpad translator - these
translations must be kept separate from "custom" translation which might
reflact some special business oriented needs)
many translations must be done in the context of the module/form
there are too may english words which can't be translated "blindly"
ths would speed up the proof reading dramatically.

* this checkout utility must "register" the module to show to other
translaters that someone is already doing the job to avoid unnecessary double
work ( the checkout may be become invalid after a certain time if the module
is not uploaded again - sort of exclusive lock time which might depend on the
number of items to translate. Example base has some 1500 items, base_vat has
some 10)

* we must maintain a common accessible repository + a dictionary where
translaters of a language can discuss and agree (or not) on the usage of
certrain translations
thorsten vocks has set up a spreadsheet on goolge to coordinate this process
for German.

--
regards
Ferdinand Gassauer