openerp-expert-localization team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: [Openerp-community-leaders] Accounting rules for localized versions: YAML

On Saturday 06 November 2010, you wrote:
> I'm forwarding your mail to the localization list which I think was also
> the main target.

Yes, l10n-experts should be among the recepients; I just thought of not
spamming all lists with the same message.

> Xrg, I agree, ideally localizations will come with tests (... OERPScenario
... YAML's very recent...).
my central point was that l10n tests are a necesity, and a fine way of each
country group to give strict requirements to OpenERP. If you publish a test
and OpenERP cannot pass it, it means we're doing sth wrong.
The technology of the tests is another argument. I appreciate the Ruby work,
and would be glad to incorporate it[1] to our current testing platform. But
you have to accept that each different language, each different package
dependency will add a level of complexity to our tests. Currently, anybody can
run the full testing suite by running a pythonic script. OOOR needs something
a bit further from that. Still, I repeat that I _do_ want to use your work,
but it may be an optional thing to run, not impose a server-dependency for
example.

Abut Yaml, it is unfortunate that the tests came a bit late in the release
process. The interpreter has been there, since quite some time, but IMHO
wasn't advertised enough.
That's why I sent this mail in the first place. I wanted to remind you that you
could follow this procedure.

> Still IMHO it doesn't prevent from debating the localization modules layout

That's another thread of mails. It is a parallel discussion, that won't affect
the need for tests[2], rather the contrary. You are always free to speak out
your opinion.

Regards.

[1] there has surely been some discussion about that in the company, we
examine all good practices of quality-testing for OpenERP.
[2] perhaps the tests would stress the need for some secific behavior of the
server. They will also report a regression if a future version breaks the
procedures for some country.