openjdk team mailing list archive

openjdk-7-jre: Dependency madness

Hi.

CCing to the OpenJDK Team in the hope that we can get some clearer answers.

I guess the cards lay on the table... as it was pointed out -headless is just not enough for many people, e.g. they want to have a JDK installed. While IMHO it's ok to pull in simple and small base libs like glib, the recent dependency additions pull in more or less large parts of GNOMEs core stuff, weirdly lots of long deprecated things like bonobo.

So can you please give some enlightenment why hard dependencies are required?

As pointed out by some people in the chat, the functionality might be dynamically loaded when the respective libs are there. But even then I'd vote against recommends, because this would then pull in all the stuff with APTs default config anyway.

Having this issue laying around is rather problematic for some of us.... at least I haven't upgraded so far, because I don't want to clutter server installations with all the GNOME stuff,... but this is problematic not only for matters of security updates.

Cheers,
Chris.