openjdk team mailing list archive

Re: users’ migration timeline towards Java 7^H8

Hi Thorsten,

Le 28/08/2015 14:33, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

> (1) Will openjdk-8 break anything on wheezy?

You can get a look at the transition bugs [1] and see what can be
expected by using openjdk-8 with wheezy. As a quick summary, opendjk-8
broke:
- libraries doing bytecode manipulation (asm, bcel, aspectj and the
packages with embedded copies of these libraries)
- projects with a custom Map implementation defining a remove(Object,
Object) method
- Eclipse (it's still broken in unstable)
- Code relying on the undefined order of HashMap entries
- APT (the annotation processor). This is mostly a build time issue.

Other incompatibilities are documented upstream [2] and may affect your
applications [2].

> (2) Who’s going to upload to wheezy-backports-sloppy?
> (3) Will backport uploads be made in timely fashion?

I uploaded the initial backport to Jessie and Moritz Muehlenhoff
volunteered to handle the following updates. AFAIK nobody has stepped
forward to take care of a Wheezy backport.

> (4) How and when should we switch everything to OpenJDK 8?

We plan to switch unstable to openjdk-8 in September.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1]
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=openjdk-8-transition;users=debian-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[2]